5 people trapped in Virginia cave rescued: Officials

first_imgWJHL(CLEVELAND, Va.) —  A group of men who became stuck in a cave in Virginia after rain made it difficult to get out have been rescued, officials said Sunday.A group of six initially planned to spend the weekend inside the cave in Cleveland, Virginia, until it began raining late Saturday night, Jess Powers, coordinator for the Russell County Emergency Management, told ABC News. The rain caused the ground inside the cave to become slippery, making it difficult for the men to get out, Powers said.One person managed to escape, but the other five remained trapped in the cave, he added.Only seven miles of the extensive cave have been mapped out, and the rescue could take up to 12 hours, Billy Chrimes, search-and-rescue coordinator for the Virginia Department of Emergency Management, told reporters Sunday morning. Rescuers have reached the men and it doesn’t appear that they are too far into the cave, he added.The first person was extracted from the cave before 4 p.m. Sunday, Jeff Stern, the state coordinator for the Virginia Department of Emergency Management, announced on Twitter. Another person was rescued after 5 p.m., Stern tweeted.Three more people had been rescued before 6 p.m., Chrimes said, adding that everyone was taken to the hospital for observation.The men had been inside the cave since Friday around 7 p.m., Chrimes said. They were not prepared for the rain after entering the cave, and did not bring enough food and water to last a sustained period of time, Chrimes said.But rescuers have provided water to them, he added.Crews had to assess how to conduct the rescue within the tight crevice at the entrance of the cave, Chrimes said. Rope-climbing and repelling were required to get through the drop at the entrance of the cave.Temperatures underground are in the mid-50s, which poses the risk for hypothermia, officials said. The person who escaped told officials that others were feeling weak and experiencing signs of hypothermia, Chrimes said, adding that cell phones and radios do not work inside.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Lynn Thanks Vinson’s Crew for Service, Adaptability During Haiti Mission

first_imgBy Dialogo May 03, 2010 Deputy Defense Secretary William J. Lynn III today thanked the crew of the USS Carl Vinson for their efforts to rescue Haitian people following the earthquake there, actions he said demonstrated the adaptability that makes America’s military the best in the world. The ship arrived in Haiti soon after the January quake that killed more than 250,000 people. The ship brought food, water and hope to the beleaguered land. Speaking to about 1,500 sailors in the aircraft carrier’s cavernous hangar deck here, Lynn said that the 400-plus medical evacuation missions that Vinson helicopter crews flew in Haiti represent “at least 400 people who wouldn’t have survived those events without your efforts.” “You all should be very proud of yourselves for the terrific effort,” the deputy secretary added. Lynn pointed out that the Vinson’s response demonstrated what is best about the American military – the ability to adapt and plan on the fly. “You didn’t anticipate this particular operation,” he said. “Of course, you’re trained, and all that you have gone through prepared you for that, but it is the essence of good planning to execute the unanticipated with the kind of excellence that you showed.” Lynn noted that the mission to Haiti happened against the backdrop of conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. The conflicts are stressing the forces and their families, he said, and he thanked the sailors and their loved ones for their staunch support. That support, he said, enables the sailors and their fellow servicemembers to excel. “The world has never seen a military with the quality, excellence and grace that this military has,” Lynn said. The unanticipated will be the norm for the future, Lynn told the Vinson’s crew. “As we enter this next decade, we don’t know what type of crises we’ll face,” he said. “We’ll have to draw down our commitment in Iraq and turn that over to the Iraqis. We’re going to have to change the momentum in Afghanistan and hopefully turn over security responsibilities to the Afghans. “But we don’t know what’s next,” he continued. “So we’re counting on you to keep up the kind of work that you’ve been doing. Keep preparing for things that are unanticipated, just the way you did for the Haiti operation, so you remain the best of the best.” The deputy secretary re-enlisted a sailor and presented Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals to four members of the crew.last_img read more

Malachi Richardson: ‘Shots will fall eventually, that’s what I’m here to do’

first_imgNEW YORK — Malachi Richardson sat in the corner of Syracuse’s locker room, ice on his left knee and a gaze fixed downward. He’s never struggled like he did Sunday. Not this season. Not ever.His first 3-pointer touched nothing. His first basket didn’t come until the second half. In the most symbolic sequence of his day, with Syracuse down nine in the second half and clawing for a comeback, Richardson slid out of bounds on his rear end after having his shot blocked. He watched as St. John’s pushed the other way before getting up and chasing the play himself.“Shots will fall eventually,” Richardson said. “That’s what I’m here to do. That’s the way I get points. That’s the way I help my team win.”The freshman, despite 15 points, went 0-of-11 from 3 and 4-of-20 from the field. He was 3-of-20 from behind the arc in three games before Tuesday, when he hit 4-of-10 against Colgate to provide a brief respite from his slump. But at Madison Square Garden, the identity Richardson came to SU with temporarily vanished in Syracuse’s (7-3) 84-72 loss to St. John’s (7-3).“I think today he was just kind of anxious for his shot,” senior Michael Gbinije said. “I think if he just mentally just calmed down things would’ve fell for him today.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textRichardson missed all seven shots he took in the opening 20 minutes, five of which came from behind the arc. He had space, a crisp crossover and step back often creating room for a shot, but the ball never fell through the net.Syracuse only trailed by three with 2:55 remaining in the first half. A minute and 31 seconds later, St. John’s had stretched its lead to 10. The only shots SU took during that span were two misses from 3, both by Richardson.“Malachi, in the first half, he was settling too much for the 3,” SU interim head coach Mike Hopkins said.So to start the second, he attacked. A finger roll to open the scoring. A contested pull-up jumper. An and-one as he fell to the floor. The life drained from Syracuse as Richardson clanked back-to-back attempts at the end of the first half showed its head.Hopkins said the team needs Richardson to be a “player” rather than a “3-point shooter.” He showed flashes of being multi-dimensional, as he has at times this season, but the spurts of promise were soon brought back down to earth.After Richardson’s second airball of the day, the ball trailed out of bounds to the right of the basket and Richardson turned his head to the bench. Standing just feet from the freshman, Hopkins mouthed for him to “move it.”“He was definitely aggressive tonight which is nothing wrong, but 0-for-11 is not a good percentage,” Gbinije said. “He’s a good shooter, he’ll bounce back. It’s just one of those days for him.”The Orange never closed its deficit further than seven. Each time SU pushed in transition with a chance to trim the lead past that, the ball soon headed back the other way.With 2:37 left and Syracuse down seven, Tyler Lydon attempted a highly contested layup. Richardson stood wide open behind him beyond the 3-point arc, nobody even in the vicinity, but he was only left with empty hands calling for the ball.And as his 10th 3-pointer of the night went up, the Syracuse contingent in Madison Square Garden buzzed in anticipation. It was a shot that would have cut SU’s deficit from seven to four. The shot SU needed to get over the hump. But like the nine prior and one after, it didn’t fall.“Just refocus,” Richardson said. “Get back to the basics, get back in the gym.” Comments Published on December 13, 2015 at 4:27 pm Contact Matt: [email protected] | @matt_schneidman Related Stories Gallery: Syracuse takes on St. John’s at Madison Square GardenStorify: Syracuse community reacts to loss at St. John’sSyracuse misses too many shots in upset loss to St. John’sWhat we learned from Syracuse’s loss to St. John’scenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Women’s soccer: Badgers upset Gophers in Border Battle showdown

first_imgIn another defensive effort at the McClimon Center Friday, the Wisconsin women’s soccer team (6-4-3, 3-1-1 Big Ten) notched their third straight victory, upsetting No. 11 Minnesota (9-2-2, 4-1-0 Big Ten) on a first half penalty goal from midfielder Kinley McNicoll.The beginning of the match was dominated by defense on both ends, with the first shot from either team coming off the foot of Minnesota forward April Bockin in the 14th minute, a ball that sailed over the goalpost. Minnesota controlled the majority of possession in Wisconsin’s half, but the closest they came to scoring in opening 25 minutes came on a corner kick that was handled easily by Wisconsin’s Caitlyn Clem.Wisconsin’s offensive struggles out the gate came at the hands of an alert Minnesota backline, as defenders Tori Burnett and Rashida Beal prevented attacking midfielder Rose Lavelle from getting a shot off on a series of deep passes into the box.A free kick from midfielder Kinley McNicoll in the 33rd minute marked the first significant on-goal opportunity for Wisconsin, as the ball reached the box and deflected to the feet of Lavelle. The Gopher defense was quick to respond, however, and cleared the chance away before Lavelle could load a shot up. The possession sparked an offensive rally, however that would define the next five minutes of the half in favor of Wisconsin.Soon after the missed chance, Lavelle was back on the charge, cutting through two Minnesota defenders with an unexpected flick pass on the left side of the box. Lavelle then found fellow midfielder Victoria Pickett making a run to the middle, connecting with her on a pass-and-shot that nailed the post to the dismay of the home crowd.Pickett made another impressive run and had just one defender to beat in the 35th minute, when a battle for possession ensued at the top of the goal box. In a struggle to clear the ball, the defender Burnett brought Pickett to the ground for a penalty kick foul. McNicoll took the subsequent shot from the mark, firing a rocket into the right side of the net past the diving hands of Tarah Hobbs. The goal was McNicoll’s second of the season.Pickett’s quick pace on the attack was praised by Wisconsin head coach Paula Wilkins, noting it as the key to breaking through Minnesota’s tough defense.“Minnesota puts her under so much pressure, but her ability to get behind them in the last 10 minutes of that half really caused some problems,” Wilkins said.Despite coming into the game on an offensive tear, Minnesota lacked a defining possession in the opening half and were limited to just two shots on goal. Wisconsin’s key accomplishment defensively was neutralizing Minnesota’s top scoring threat in Simone Kolander, who had come into the match on a six-game scoring streak. Kolander was pressed from the opening minute, which was a strategy going into the game according to Wilkins.“The one thing that we talked about is that we wanted to make sure we got pressure on them right away,” Wilkins said. “In other games we’ve given them some time and space and we decided that we wanted to really eliminate that.”The Badgers carried their late first half momentum into the second with a dominating stretch in the attacking third for the opening 10 minutes. Highlighting the offensive push was a shot from substitute Micaela Powers, a bending ball into the upper right corner that required a leaping save from Hobbs to keep the game at 1-0 going into the final 35 minutes of regulation.Neither team had much success generating offensive chances over the next 20 minutes as the Badgers still held a 1-0 lead going into the final five minutesA collision in the Minnesota goal box suspended play in the 78th minute when Powers appeared to sustain a head injury, requiring an on-field visit from the athletic training staff. Powers walked off the field under her own power, but the incident ended her day on the pitch.In the closing minutes, Minnesota found some offensive momentum and were able to maintain possession in the attacking third with a series of corners, but a turnover by the Gopher offense in the 88th minute kept the ball in Minnesota’s half for the rest of the match.The win marks the second consecutive 1-0 win and third straight victory overall for Wisconsin. In the process, Clem extended her shutout streak to four games.The Badgers will play their next match on the road against Iowa on Oct. 8.last_img read more