“It is stated in black and white in the medical reports that were submitted to the court that only this journalist’s provisional release will enable him to undergo appropriate medical treatment,” said Arnaud Froger, the head of RSF’s Africa desk. “Continuing to hold Amadou Vamoulké after he has already spent more than three years in preventive detention on charges never substantiated by the prosecution, although two neurologists confirm that he has a severe illness and although one of his co-defendants is not in detention, constitutes horrific persecution. There are no grounds, legal or moral, for keeping him in prison.” November 21, 2019 Cameroon’s attorney-general asks court not to release journalist May 19, 2021 Find out more Amadou Vamoulké, l’ex-directeur général de la CRTV lors de la 24e audience de son procès devant le Tribunal criminel spécial de Yaoundé, le 21 novembre 2019. Organisation RSF_en When RSF visited Vamoulké in prison at the start of this week, he said that he has “pains in both feet that keep him awake at night” and that he has received “no additional treatment or tests” since September, when he was diagnosed with neuropathy. Several members of RSF’s staff, British and Canadian embassy representatives and Cameroonian and foreign journalists attended today’s hearing, the 24th in Vamoulké’s trial on charges of misusing state funds when he ran the state-owned national radio and TV broadcaster, CRTV. After a group of French parliamentarians raised the case in February, the French foreign ministry said “the prosecution has not produced evidence of the appropriateness of its case,” and promised to pay close attention to the conclusions of the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention, to which RSF first referred the case in January. The hearing lasted only 12 minutes, the time it took for the court to hear the attorney-general argue that the request for his provisional release should be rejected because the gravity of the charges prevented him from benefitting from the Cameroonian criminal code’s “benevolent provisions.” Follow the news on Cameroon to go further Cameroonian journalist Paul Chouta sentenced and fined in defamation case On 12 November, RSF used an emergency procedure to refer his case to the UN special rapporteur on torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment and to the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention, enclosing copies of the two medical reports. Receive email alerts CameroonAfrica ImprisonedJudicial harassment May 31, 2021 Find out more Cameroon is ranked 131st out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2019 World Press Freedom Index. News During today’s hearing, neither the attorney-general nor the judges made any reference to the fact that he is being denied appropriate medical care, which violates the most basic legal principles. The request for Vamoulké’s release, submitted by his lawyers at the previous hearing, was accompanied by two medical certificates saying he needs tests and treatment that are not available in Cameroon. It also included a copy of the title to his home, because he has been kept behin bars on the grounds of “absence of a known residence.” Cameroonian reporter jailed since August, abandoned by justice system News Vamoulké was CRTV’s director-general from 2005 to July 2016, when he was arrested on a charge of misusing several millions of euros in state funds, not for personal ends but with the sole aim of benefitting CRTV. No evidence to support this charge has been produced at any of the 24 trial hearings so far held. Case against Amadou Vamoulké baseless, French lawyers tell Cameroon court News By asking Cameroon’s Special Criminal Court to reject a request for Amadou Vamoulké’s release at today’s hearing in Yaoundé, the attorney-general could be endangering this eminent journalist’s health, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is calling for him to be granted access to the tests and treatment he needs. A decision is expected on 28 November. CameroonAfrica ImprisonedJudicial harassment News After the attorney-general presented his arguments, the court adjourned until 28 November to render its decision. Help by sharing this information April 23, 2021 Find out more
“But we have come into a few squads together now and come September, we will be ready and we are looking forward to it.” In the meantime, Keogh, who only just missed out on promotion to the Barclays Premier League at the end of last season when his error handed Bobby Zamora the chance to send QPR up instead, will re-charge his batteries and prepare for a campaign which could prove exciting for both club and country. He said: “It’s been a long season. I have played a lot of games again – close to 50 games. It’s a lot of games, but it’s great experience for me. “I’m happy when I am playing, but I will look forward to my rest and look forward to another big season. “Of course I am excited. I feel like I’m getting better all the time, I’m hopefully coming into my best years. I’m in good form, I feel good about myself and I’m learning all the time. “That’s the most important thing. I always want to get better, I want to strive to get better and hopefully that will continue.” But the 27-year-old is well aware international recognition will only come if his club form is good enough, and he could have no better incentive than the fight to erase the bitter memories of a heartbreaking day at Wembley. He said: “If we keep the squad together and add a couple more players, we will hopefully be in a good position. “We just missed out last year and if we can play how we did last year, we have got a very good chance of challenging for automatic promotion, if not, the play-offs again. “Like I say, I am excited, to be honest. I’ll recuperate now, relax – it’s important for my body – so when I come back, I will be ready to lead the team to hopefully another successful season.” Press Association Keogh said: “They have got a good team, a good squad. Ronaldo is the best player in the world, he can make something happen out of nothing. “On that showing, they are going to be a bit of a threat.” While Portugal headed for South America, Ireland turned for home licking their wounds after a bruising night in New Jersey which saw a squad weakened by injuries and withdrawals suffer at the hands of one preparing for the big stage. Martin O’Neill’s players will spend the next few weeks in rest and recuperation before returning to domestic affairs, but with one eye on the resumption of competitive international action in September. O’Neill deliberately chose testing fixtures for the summer programme – against Turkey, Italy, Costa Rica and the Portuguese – and his side ultimately emerged from them with two defeats and two draws to show for their efforts, although believing they could, and perhaps should, have won each of the first three. However, the manager is confident that will help to hone them for the start of the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign, which gets underway in Georgia, and Keogh knows that is when results will really matter. He said: “The manager wanted tough games. We probably should have had a couple more victories in the four games, but we have got to make sure we are ready now for September because at the end of the day, we are all fighting to get to France and that’s what we are driving for. “It’s a good learning curve for this group. A couple of us are still learning at this level, we are still a bit of a new group together. Keogh and his Republic of Ireland team-mates found themselves on the receiving end at the Metlife Stadium in New Jersey during the early hours of Wednesday morning when Cristiano Ronaldo and company illustrated their readiness to ruffle a few feathers in Brazil. The Portuguese ran out 5-1 winners in their final warm-up game after roaring into a 3-0 lead with just 37 minutes gone, and having seen them at close hand, the Derby defender is well placed to judge just how dangerous they could be on Brazil. Richard Keogh has warned the World Cup favourites to write off Portugal at their peril after seeing them at their destructive best.