Police hunting for man who raped 82-year-old in Linden

first_img…13 men wanted for sexual offences – Commander Police are on the hunt for a man who sexually assaulted an 82-year-old woman and then told her that he would bring her some money the following day to help her with expenses.According to a police source, both the suspect and the victim reside in Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice), and are known to each other. Following the incident, the woman reported the matter to the police and the suspect was taken into custody. However, after the 72-hour holding period had expired, Police released the man on station bail as they awaited legal advice.“We had the guy, we were done with the statement and the report. We sent for legal advice and so on, the file came back, and we were advised to charge him. But that 72-hour was up and we had to let him go on cash bail, and now he cannot be found but we will continue to search until we find him,” a police source told this publication.Wanted: Winston Rodney called “Skinny”Meanwhile, Commander of E Division (Linden-Kwakwani), Senior Superintendent Linden Lord when contacted confirmed that his ranks are in pursuit of the suspect.He added that the suspect is one of 13 men that the police in that Division are on the hunt for in relation to sexual offences.“We have 13 people, including him that raped the grandmother, on a list that has been prepared; a wanted bulletin list, and all of them have to be charged. All those 13 files were sent for legal advice and the advice given was that each of them to be charged for their individual offences. These 13 persons are from cases as recent as a few weeks ago and dates back to 2017,” he explained.Crucial collaborationAccording to Commander Lord, the ranks in the Division are working to ensure that they clamp down on the prevalence of sexual offences in Region 10 and at the same time in helping to bring justice to victims. He added that collaboration and cooperation from all stakeholders are crucial.“I think that the most serious crimes that we have in this Division are with children…it is there and the records show this, you cannot deviate from, we are not getting the amount in other crimes. But we are trying to sensitise communities, schools, children etc as much as possible. Ranks from the Sexual Offences Unit usually have talks with school children of all ages and this is a regular feature so we continue to try to eradicate this,” he added.Just recently, in Region 10, a five-year-old boy was sexually assaulted 35-year-old Winston Rodney called “Skinny”, who also is presently on the run from the police.Reports are that between July 1 and July 31, the village of Kwakwani, Region 10 was hit by flooding and the suspect along with the little boy were alone in a boat traversing the community when the child was raped.In that instance also, the suspect was arrested for the offence, but when the file was eventually returned with the instructions to charge the suspect, the mandatory 72-hour holding period had already expired.Although ranks immediately went in search of Rodney at his given address and combed the village for the rape suspect, he was nowhere to be found.A wanted bulletin was subsequently issued for Rodney.last_img read more