Neighbors rally to help family made homeless by blaze

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita The Romano children – Janet, 14; Adrianna, 12; Kevin, 8; Rosie, 7; and Jessica, 6 – live in the apartment with their parents, Bombilia Sanchez and Joaquin Romano. When the fire broke out, the children’s mother was at the store and their father, a mechanic, was at work, Romero said. Romero was outside her downstairs apartment visiting when she saw Janet and Kevin come in from playing. “I stepped aside so they could get by, but as soon as they got upstairs, the little boy turned around and asked for help,” she said. “By the time I got up the stairs, the whole bunk bed was on fire. We made sure to get all the kids out. “Thank God, I was there for them when they needed me. I don’t usually go outside, but something inside of me was kind of worried.” The sisters want to help. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “We should be helping the people up there,” Lucero Romero said. “They lost everything. I want to find out where they can get help; even telling people they need help will do something.” The staff at nearby McGrath Elementary School, where three of the Romano children attend, were able to help Sanchez find assistance. “She came in this morning for suggestions and we gave her agencies to call and places to go,” said Angelica Harris, the school’s office manager. “School is still in inter-session, but we’ve e-mailed all the teachers so they know about it. We’ll probably do something when school gets back on Tuesday.” The Romanos’ apartment was destroyed, and three other units were damaged by water and smoke and declared uninhabitable. Anyone wishing to help can contact Concilla Torrez or Javier Sanchez at (661) 284-6839. Carol Rock, (661) 257-5252 [email protected] center_img NEWHALL – Rosario Romero sat at a folding table on the patio of her apartment complex Friday morning trying to find help. Never mind that she is being forced to move after a fire in the apartment above hers left her and her family with significant water and smoke damage. She knows the building management will find another apartment for them in the same complex. She and her sister, Lucero, along with other neighbors from the Valle del Oro building were hoping to find assistance for the Romano family, whose home went up in flames Thursday night, leaving eight family members homeless. Fire officials said Thursday night they suspect the blaze might have been started by an unattended candle, although the investigation is continuing. It was reported that electricity to the apartment had been disconnected. last_img read more