Chimbote-based journalist flees Peru after repeated threats

first_img Receive email alerts News PeruAmericas February 10, 2017 Find out more Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders condemns an attack on Marilú Gambini Lostanau, a freelance journalist who writes about drug trafficking. Intruders entered her home in the northern city of Chimbote on 28 March, held her down and stole documents. Reporters Without Borders voiced anger and regret today that Marilú Gambini Lostanau, a freelance journalist based in the western city of Chimbote, has had to flee the country with her two children following repeated death threats.“The rule of law has failed when journalists are forced to flee the region or country where they live and work because of the risks to which are exposed,” the press freedom organisation said. “We are furious that Gambini has had to flee, as the authorities have been aware of her situation for years.”“Reporters Without Borders added: “The fact that she had police protection does not exempt the local authorities from the obligation to investigate the threats she received, which almost certainly had their origin in the stories she has worked on. Without going so far as to talk of complicity, we think there are grounds for suspecting the authorities of negligence in their handling of her case.”Gambini was assigned a police bodyguard by the civil governor’s office in Chimbote in 2000 after repeatedly receiving threats as a result of her coverage of sensitive issues, especially drug trafficking.In a 2004 report, Gambini alleged that a Mexican drug cartel consignment was shipped through the naval base at Chimbote. On 28 March 2005, two men posed as bricklayers in order to get into her home, attacked her and robbed documents. Intruders broke into her home again in her absence on 21 May 2005, taking videotapes. She thought the second burglary was not related to her work._____________________________________________________________25.05.05 – Burglars strike against Marilú Gambini Lostanau for a second timeTwo men broke into freelance journalist Marilú Gambini Lostanau’s home for a second time on 21 May 2005 and stole several videotapes. The journalist, who was not at home at the time, said she considered it “commonplace” and reported it to the police station in Chimbote, western Peru. She said the stolen videotapes did not contain any information about her journalistic work.Two men used the same means of getting in on 28 March, to steal papers from her. One of them held the journalist, while the other one searched the apartment, evidently looking for particular documents which they then took away.Gambini Lostanau exposed the fact that a consignment of drugs belonging to a Mexican drug cartel transited through Chimbote naval base in an article that she published in April 2004.She is under personal protection ordered in 2000 by Chimbote police after she had received repeated threats.____________________________________4.04.05 – Intruders restrain journalist in her home, steal documentsReporters Without Borders today condemned an attack on freelance journalist Marilú Gambini Lostanau by intruders who were able to enter her home in the northern city of Chimbote on 28 March, restrain her and steal documents although she has had government protection since 2000.”We are very worried by the idea that a journalist who is supposed to have had a bodyguard for nearly five years can be attacked in this manner in her home,” the press freedom organization said. “Theft of documents is a serious press freedom violation and we therefore urge the authorities to conduct a proper investigation and punish those responsible as quickly as possible,” Reporters Without Borders said, adding that it also called for improved protection for Gambini.The two intruders posed as bricklayers to enter Gambini’s home, where some construction work was being done. One held her by the neck while the other searched the premises for very specific documents, which he found and took with him.”This journalist was working on drug trafficking matters,” Chimbote police chief Col. Roberto Lanatta Corcuera told Reporters Without Borders, adding, “a link with the attack obviously cannot be ruled out.”In a report published in April 2004, Gambini alleged that a Mexican drug cartel consignment was shipped through a naval base at Chimbote. Gambini told the Instituto Prensa y Sociedad (IPYS), a Peruvian press freedom organization, that she does not rule out the possibility that her aggressors were members of the armed forces.She was assigned a bodyguard by the civil governor’s office in Chimbote in 2000 after repeated threats. She has been in hiding since the 28 March intrusion. April 1, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Peru April 12, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Chimbote-based journalist flees Peru after repeated threats RSF_en News News China’s diplomats must stop attacking media over coronavirus reporting News to go further Latin American media: under control of families, economic and political elites December 4, 2019 Find out more Organisation Latin America’s community radio – a key service but vulnerable PeruAmericas last_img read more

Thousand Oaks suspect died from self-inflicted wound: Officials

first_imgABC News(THOUSAND OAKS, Calif.) — The veteran suspected of opening fire at a Thousand Oaks, California, bar, killing 12, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, an official from the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office told ABC News. Ian David Long, 28, an ex-Marine, fatally shot 11 people at the Borderline Bar and Grill, as well as a police officer who responded just before midnight Wednesday.Preliminary information indicates that Long walked into the bar, immediately shot a group of security guards and employees standing near the entrance to the bar and then paused to text or post to social media, according to law enforcement sources briefed on the investigation.“It’s too bad I won’t get to see all the illogical and pathetic reasons people will put in my mouth as to why I did it,” he wrote at 11:24 p.m., according to documents obtained by ABC News. “Fact is I had no reason to do it, and I just thought… life is boring so why not?”Three minutes later, he posted, “Yeah… I’m insane, but the only thing you people do after these shootings is ‘hopes and prayers’ … or ‘keep you in my thoughts’ … every time… and wonder why these keep happening.”Long’s social media were taken down at the request of law enforcement.Long, a former U.S. Marine, showed signs of post-traumatic stress disorder, authorities said, but there’s little information available yet on what prompted the attack late Wednesday night at the Borderline Bar and Grill. Long was found dead inside the bar.“He was somewhat irate. Acting a little irrationally,” Ventura County Sheriff Geoff Dean said at a press conference. “They felt he might be suffering from PTSD, the fact he was a veteran.”Long, 28, lived near the bar with his mother, neighbors told police, describing the suspect as a troubled man who battled fits of rage.“I think I do recall some times when he was struggling with some issues internally,” said Todd Stratton, a friend of Long’s. “I didn’t know [about] PTSD, but his girlfriend would kind of ask him about things going on with him, because he’d get really upset sometimes and kind of shut down and he wouldn’t want to talk about it to people. He’d just kind of close himself up, and I think he had a really hard time reaching out for help because of his personality.” FBI officials have swarmed the house, desperate to find the motive behind his alleged shooting rampage.One neighbor told ABC News she called the police on Long once after he allegedly got into a fight with his mother. Another neighbor said Long rarely left home and that his mother told her that he was getting violent.Dean said Long had several previous run-ins with police, including an incident in April where deputies were called to his home in Newbury Park because he was reportedly behaving erratically.“They went to the house, they talked to him. He was somewhat irate, acting a little irrationally,” Dean said. “They called out our crisis intervention team, our mental health specialist, who met with him, talked to him and cleared him.” “It’s difficult, because I’ve been doing this for 41 years, and you don’t leave things unfinished,” Dean, who’d been considering retirement, told ABC News’ David Muir.Dean was a close friend of one of the shooting victims, Sgt. Ron Helus, who died in the line of duty.“I think we try to look at the core and try to understand what happened and see if there’s a way that we can stop it. We all try to make sense of the senseless.” Authorities said hundreds were inside when the suspect walked in to the country-western bar with a gun and opened fire. The weapon was equipped with a an extended-ammunition magazine, allowing it to hold more than the normal 10 bullets, so it’s unclear how many total rounds he may have had, police said.Zach Frye and Tyler Odenkirk told ABC News that two of their friends who worked as security guards at Borderline were among the dead. A Borderline bouncer said they were surely among the heroes.“I know they did everything they could in their final moments,” the unnamed bouncer said. “We were told one of them went out a hero. He went out fighting the shooter.”Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more