US – Trump should condemn video depicting violence against journalists

first_img News October 15, 2019 US – Trump should condemn video depicting violence against journalists United StatesAmericas MANDEL NGAN / AFP News Receive email alerts News RSF_en The White House Correspondents’ Association, CNN, and a number of journalists and political figures have condemned the video since it first surfaced. While the White House press secretary says Trump “strongly condemns” the video, the president has yet to make any statement on the subject. The otherwise widespread outrage over its violent imagery comes in the context of a nation that was shocked just more than a year ago when a private individual with a long-standing grudge against the Capital Gazette newspaper entered the Maryland newsroom in June 2018 with a shotgun, taking the lives of four journalists and one other employee. Since then, federal authorities have arrested multiple individuals who have attempted or been preparing for acts of violence against newsrooms in the United States. June 3, 2021 Find out more Organisation June 7, 2021 Find out more WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists Follow the news on United States News to go further April 28, 2021 Find out more “We at RSF are horrified by this video, which is a clear attempt to chill journalism in the United States,” said Dokhi Fassihian, Executive Director of RSF USA. “This video is a direct threat to the safety of journalists. President Trump should denounce it immediately. RSF encourages members of both political parties and all 2020 presidential candidates to denounce this attack on the press as well. This intimidation of the media is the sort of thing we see under authoritarian regimes. It has no place in America.” Reporters Without Borders (RSF) denounces a video shown at a Trump resort last week that portrayed a fictitious President Donald Trump committing acts of extreme violence against news organizations and political rivals. President Trump must personally condemn this horrific video immediately. Facebook’s Oversight Board is just a stopgap, regulation urgently needed, RSF says Help by sharing this information A video depicting a fictitious Donald Trump committing a series of violent acts against the news media and his political opponents at the “Church of Fake News,” was shown during a three-day conference held by the president’s supporters at the Trump National Doral Miami last week, The New York Times reported on October 13. In the video, a man with Trump’s head superimposed on his body is shown moving through a church shooting, stabbing and lighting on fire parishioners whose faces were replaced with the logos of news organizations that include PBS, NPR, Politico, The Washington Post, NBC and Vice News, and MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow, as well as political figures Trump reviles. It harkens back to a similar video that surfaced on social media in 2017 depicting Trump body slamming a man with the CNN logo superimposed on his head. The United States is ranked 48th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2019 World Press Freedom Index, after dropping three places in the last year. United StatesAmericas NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs saylast_img read more

Tipp to make the most of their opportunities in All Ireland QF

first_imgTipperary will be making the most of their opportunities in the All Ireland senior camogie quarter final this weekend.Brian Boyle’s side reached the knock-out stages of the competition by the narrowest of margins – they qualified from the group stages on the last round of games.Burgess – Duharra’s Gemma Grace says the team are totally focused on their clash with Galway this Saturday. Photo © Tipp FM & Denis Vahey Photographylast_img

Prominent Barbados businessman secures bail on drug trafficking charges

first_imgChairman of the Barbados Private Sector Association (BPSA) and Goddard Enterprises, Charles Herbert and another director of the company were Friday released on US$200,000 bail after appearing in court on charges of marijuana possession, possession with intent to supply and trafficking.While Herbert, 62, and Christopher Glenn Rogers, 56, were able to leave the precincts of the District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court after posting securities, their co-accused, 55-year-old sailor Walter O’Neal Prescod, who was offered  US$225,000 bail, was remanded to prison until Monday, after being unable to secure a surety.The three were detained on Monday following the seizure of 276 pounds of drugs on the yacht, Ecstasy, owned by the Goddard Group.Acting on a tip-off, members of the Royal Barbados Police Force Drug Squad had conducted an operation on the vessel and confiscated the drugs, valued at approximately US$267,000.However, speaking after leaving the court, Herbert insisted that he and Rogers were not guilty. “I want to assert clearly to the public that we are entirely innocent of all of the charges,” he said.And while thanking the Drug Squad and the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) for handling the matter “in a professional way” and “working exceedingly hard over the last four days to assemble evidence related to this case”, Herbert contended that all that evidence “clearly supports our innocence”.Shocked at charges “We are therefore shocked that cases were brought against us, and we can only assume that the people who made the decision lack the courage to stand by the truth that they themselves have discovered and that they are sworn to uphold. “I want to call on the Director of Public Prosecutions to urgently review the evidence that has been collected and to preserve the integrity of the Police Force,” Herbert added.Statement from Goddard EnterpriseAfter the trio was detained, Goddard Enterprises issued a statement saying it was aware of an investigation into two of its board members and an employee, and that deputy chairman William Putnam would act as chairman in the interim.Herbert said Friday that a decision would be made in due course on whether he will return to that position.“I have to review whether I am even able to do so while a charge of drug trafficking hangs over my head and challenges my credibility. Any decision that I make would be in the interest of the company that I represent, and if my continuing harms them, then I will not continue,” he said.Herbert said that the same position applied to his role as chairman of the BPSA. “If I hurt the credibility of the private sector, then I will certainly resign my position.”Under the conditions of their bail release, Herbert and Rogers had to surrender their passports and must report to their nearest police stations once a week. They return to court on November 6.last_img read more