34-6 winning start for Fiji Warriors

first_imgWhile the introduction of new laws in the scrums and line-outs slowed the momentum of the game, Warriors captain Peni Ravai said they had to adapt quickly to ensure a win against Samoa A. “I think we need to work our set plays. Even though the first half was not very good as the second half,” he said. Fiji had a narrow 12-6 lead in the first half, with the Samoa A’s Ki Anufe slotting three penalties to the Warriors’ converted try and two penalties to half back Serupepeli Vularika with the new trialled points system valuing a try at six points and a conversion, penalty and drop goal at two. Henry Seniloli created an impact upon substitution in the second spell, scoring a try and setting the pace for two more, one from Vasikali Mudu and the other a penalty try. The team’s fierce defence saw the opposition sitting on six points for the remainder of the match. Samoa captain Greg Foe said while he thought they would be in contention, they were dealt a different hand. “That was a tough physical game as expected. We thought we were going to come out here and dominate the game but Fiji really gave it to us and the ball didn’t really bounce our way but that’s all part of the game.“You’ve just go to move on and do our homework for the next game,” he said. Ravai said they had hoped to finish on a high and add to the success of the 7s team and continue to put a smile on the people’s faces. “I would like to thank the boys for the courage and the hard work they did today. Although we prepared just for two weeks, the coach believed in us. “We played today like we were training for more than two weeks and I would like to thank the boys for the great effort. “We played today to put the smile back on those who suffered and play hard on the next couple of games and maybe we can win the final,” he said. Meanwhile, a fair turnout at first round of the World Rugby Pacific Challenge at the ANZ Stadium in Suva has Fiji Rugby Union CEO John O’Connor pleased.O’Connor had on Monday revealed that all entry fees would be waived as members of the public work on gaining a sense of stability in the wake of Tropical Cyclone Winston. The union, World Rugby and the Fiji Sports Council had reached a decision on Monday resulting in the free access of all matches held at the Stadium until the fourth round on March 21. “I am quite pleased with the support from World Rugby, supporting the initiative of Fiji Rugby Union to allow free access.“Based on the crowd, it was a success getting people to come down and join this afternoon,” he said. While pleased with the win yesterday, O’Connor believes there is still more work to be done. “From Fiji Rugby Union’s point of view, we will take the win but this is just a start. We need to win all our games and then play in the final so it is a work in progress. Hopefully we can learn from here and qualify and go into the final and move on from there,” he said. The second round of matches on Saturday sees Samoa A take on Tonga A at 3.30pm while Tuesday victors Junior Japan take on the Telecom Fiji Warriors.Caption: A Fiji Warrior player fending off a Samoan defence.last_img read more