Lynn Thanks Vinson’s Crew for Service, Adaptability During Haiti Mission

first_imgBy Dialogo May 03, 2010 Deputy Defense Secretary William J. Lynn III today thanked the crew of the USS Carl Vinson for their efforts to rescue Haitian people following the earthquake there, actions he said demonstrated the adaptability that makes America’s military the best in the world. The ship arrived in Haiti soon after the January quake that killed more than 250,000 people. The ship brought food, water and hope to the beleaguered land. Speaking to about 1,500 sailors in the aircraft carrier’s cavernous hangar deck here, Lynn said that the 400-plus medical evacuation missions that Vinson helicopter crews flew in Haiti represent “at least 400 people who wouldn’t have survived those events without your efforts.” “You all should be very proud of yourselves for the terrific effort,” the deputy secretary added. Lynn pointed out that the Vinson’s response demonstrated what is best about the American military – the ability to adapt and plan on the fly. “You didn’t anticipate this particular operation,” he said. “Of course, you’re trained, and all that you have gone through prepared you for that, but it is the essence of good planning to execute the unanticipated with the kind of excellence that you showed.” Lynn noted that the mission to Haiti happened against the backdrop of conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. The conflicts are stressing the forces and their families, he said, and he thanked the sailors and their loved ones for their staunch support. That support, he said, enables the sailors and their fellow servicemembers to excel. “The world has never seen a military with the quality, excellence and grace that this military has,” Lynn said. The unanticipated will be the norm for the future, Lynn told the Vinson’s crew. “As we enter this next decade, we don’t know what type of crises we’ll face,” he said. “We’ll have to draw down our commitment in Iraq and turn that over to the Iraqis. We’re going to have to change the momentum in Afghanistan and hopefully turn over security responsibilities to the Afghans. “But we don’t know what’s next,” he continued. “So we’re counting on you to keep up the kind of work that you’ve been doing. Keep preparing for things that are unanticipated, just the way you did for the Haiti operation, so you remain the best of the best.” The deputy secretary re-enlisted a sailor and presented Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medals to four members of the crew.last_img read more

Exclusion from TOPS funding right decision: Sushil, Yogeshwar

first_imgNew Delhi, Apr 13 (PTI) Omitted from the Target Olympic Podium Scheme, Indias Olympic medal winning wrestlers Sushil Kumar and Yogeshwar Dutt today gracefully accepted the move, saying there was no point taking funds from the government when they are out of action. Besides Sushil and Yogeshwar, the famous Phogat sisters — Geeta and Babita — faced the axe too. “I think it is a right decision. My name should have been removed from the list since I am not in action. If I am not contributing on the mat, why should I be a part of any funding,” Sushil told PTI. “I dont want to take anything from anyone when I am not playing. I am a very satisfied person and I am absolutely fine with the move,” Indias lone double Olympic medallist added. While Sushil was not a part of the Indian squad at the Rio Games last year following a snub by the WFI, Yogeshwar, who bowed out in the first round, had already made it clear that Rio was his last Olympics. So, Sushil and Yogeshwars exclusion from the list hardly came as a surprise. “I agree with the decision. There is nothing wrong with it. I had already conveyed that Rio was my last Olympics, so chances of including my name in TOPS do not arise in any case. “The government must give the funds to those kids who need it at this stage of their careers,” London Olympics bronze medal winner Yogeshwar said. The Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) have sent a revised list of grapplers to the Sports Ministry for funding under the TOPS, with an eye on the Tokyo Olympics in 2020. Apart from the stalwarts of Indian wrestling, the list also does not have the likes of Rahul Aware, Amit Kumar Dahiya and Praveen Rana, all of whom figured in the original list, made in 2015-16, ahead of the Rio Olympics. Keeping the future in mind, WFI has included names such as Sandeep Tomar (mens 57kg), Bajrang Punia (mens 65kg), Jitendra (mens 74kg), Ritu Phogat (womens 45kg), Vinesh Phogat (womens 48kg), Rio Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik (womens 58kg) for the TOPS funding. Sakshi, Vinesh and Bajrang figured in the original list of 2015-16 also. Although Sakshi has been included, some doubts have emerged over her continuation in the sport after her marriage. Sushil, who has become a national observer, said he has accepted the role of observer since he is currently not active on the mat. “Since I am not playing at the moment, I have accepted the job of national observer and I feel I can contribute to the young wrestlers growth by performing this role. But that does not mean I would not play again. Till the time, I decide to take the mat again, I would handle this role,” said Sushil. Although Geeta, 2010 Commonwealth Games gold medallist and Babita, 2014 Commonwealth Games gold winner, are still competing, their form off late have not been encouraging. Geeta has not participated in tournaments regularly, while Babita has had injury issues in recent times. Both the sisters hardly fought during the Pro Wrestling League (PWL) earlier this year, citing injuries. When asked about WFIs move to exclude her and Geeta from the TOPS list, a visibly upset Babita said that she had no information about the omission. “I dont want to comment on it because I do not have any information about it,” Babita said. WFI assistant secretary Vinod Tomar said the list was prepared by the national coaches with an eye on 2020 Tokyo. “The coaches, who have been closely observing the wrestlers in the national camps and in the tournaments, have approved the list for the TOPs funding and have chosen only those who they felt are medal prospects for India at the Tokyo Games,” Tomar said. “But there is still three years to go and the list might be updated depending on the performances of the wrestler and the injuries they face,” he added. PTI CM AH CMadvertisementlast_img read more