Bolivia, Brazil, and United States Begin Coca-Monitoring Program

first_img “Drug trafficking has to be defeated jointly, sharing efforts among states. This is the great contribution of this system, this trilateral plan involving Bolivia, the United States, and Brazil,” Interior Minister Carlos Romero affirmed here. The ancient plant is also the raw material for manufacturing cocaine, an activity in which Bolivia is ranked third in the world, behind Peru and Colombia, according to the UN. The trinational agreement, which will last a year, aims to promote technical and scientific coordination among the signatory countries, in order to achieve improved monitoring of and greater precision about the areas where excess coca is grown, for the purpose of its eradication, with a budget of 350,000 dollars. The GPS equipment makes it possible to verify the amount of coca eradicated on site and then do follow-up to come back to check whether rural workers have replanted coca, an unsolved problem in Bolivia. In the town of Chimoré, in Chapare, Brazil’s ambassador in La Paz, Marcel Biato, and the U.S. chargé d’affaires, John Creamer, delivered GPS (Global Positioning System) equipment as part of an anti-drug agreement signed in January. Bolivia has 31,000 hectares of coca, according to United Nations data, of which only 12,000 are legal for traditional uses, such as chewing, infusion, and in Andean religious rituals. On April 1, in the Bolivian region of Chapare, the Governments of Bolivia, Brazil, and the United States began to use a satellite system to monitor a reduction in areas planted with coca, AFP confirmed. Since the late 1980s, the country has eradicated between 5,000 and 10,000 hectares a year, manually and with the participation of police and Military personnel, but at the same time that the Government destroys crops, rural workers replant more coca. By Dialogo April 03, 2012last_img read more

Pelham hungry to add to European portfolio

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Gomis ‘ready to go’ – Monk

first_img “Then you make your decision and that is what happened. Everyone was open about it and nothing was hidden. “We made all the possible checks and he has been passed fit by numerous specialists who are top of their field. “That is reassuring for Bafe and for us and he went back to France after the Spurs game to see a specialist he has used his whole life to reaffirm everything. “These instances do happen from time to time as his history shows but Bafe is fine and ready to go.” Gomis’ collapse triggered memories of Fabrice Muamba’s cardiac arrest at White Hart Lane while the midfielder was playing for Bolton there in an FA Cup tie in March 2012. But Monk even suggested Gomis was physically capable of playing at Tottenham after his collapse, although he said that would not have been perceived as an ethical decision. “That was not the right thing to do,” Monk said. “How many many players have had concussion and played on? I have done it myself. “But it is not the right thing to do, ethically or medically, so that is why we brought him off. “There is nothing funny about it, particularly with the situation they have had at that ground previously. “But you could see we were quite relaxed and the players knew to give him space. ” Bafe was on the floor and we were talking tactics and taking on drinks, but that is because we knew what we were dealing with.” Press Association Swansea manager Garry Monk insists Bafetimbi Gomis is “ready to go” after collapsing on the White Hart Lane pitch and could feature against Liverpool on Monday night. While admitting that Gomis could collapse once more sometime in the future, Monk says both the club and the player are doing everything possible to prevent it happening again and that the issue is not as serious as it might appear from the outside. “Bafe knows better than anyone what measures to take to help him,” Monk said. “I understand there are questions people want answered but the issue is not as big for Bafe and the people at the club. “He has lived with it his whole life, it happens occasionally and when it does so in a public place that scrutiny comes with it. “But he has trained as normal this week and does the same as every player, and if you look at his life there are more days when he has been fine rather than when something has happened.” Gomis joined Swansea from Lyon last summer and had fainted on a number of occasions during his time in French football. Monk revealed Gomis had an episode earlier this season – “he did not pass out but he had a dizzy spell, we sat him down for five minutes and then he resumed training” – but he said Swansea had conducted all the necessary medical checks before signing the 12-time France international. “A lot of players have different issues and you do all the general checks, if there is a particular issue that can flare up you investigate it,” Monk said. Gomis suffers from a vasovagal condition which prompts low blood pressure and fainting episodes and there was real concern when the striker slumped to the ground during the early stages of Swansea’s 3-2 defeat at Tottenham on March 4. The 29-year-old left the pitch on a stretcher and wearing an oxygen mask following several minutes of treatment and spent the night under observation in a London hospital, but he returned to training on Wednesday after visiting a specialist he sees regularly in his native France. last_img read more