September retail sales figure see fillip

first_imgRetail sales saw a slight increase of 0.3% last month, according to the latest figures.However, the British Retail Consortium (BRC) said the late scorching weather had meant shoppers had turned their back on clothes in favour of stocking up for barbecues.BRC director-general Stephen Robertson said that in tough times the industry should be “thankful” for the improvement in September over August’s 0.6% decline, but conditions remain weak and spending growth below inflation means customers are buying less than this time last year. Taken across the three months to the end of September, the BRC said food sales were up by 2.1%, with non-food sales down by 1.4%.A slower start to food sales in the changeable first few weeks of the month was offset by the unseasonably warm and sunny weather in the last week.“This drove salads, fresh fruit, barbecue foods, ice cream and soft drinks,” the BRC said. “Promotions continued to do well as shoppers remained cautious and looked for value and attractive offers.”Total sales in September rose by 2.5% and for the quarter were 2.2% ahead of this time in 2010, but Robertson said growth has been “flipping” between 1.5% and 2.5% for four months and in the year to date like-for-like growth is “zero”.This was backed up by analysts at Evolution Securities said the figures still represented a “volume decline”.last_img read more

Garnar addresses 44th COVID-19 death, protests, Rec Park fire

first_imgIn total, 559 cases of the virus have been reported since the outbreak began in Broome County. (WBNG) — Broome County Executive Jason Garnar announced the 44th death from COVID-19 at his June 1 news conference. The victim was a Willow Point Nursing Home Resident and a man in his 70s. Garnar says he is concerned after around 1,000 people showed up in Binghamton to protest against the death of George Floyd. Reopening criteria and protests: Coronavirus numbers: In total, Garnar says 44 Willow Point residents have tested positive for the virus. The county executive says its important people continue to wear their masks, remain socially distant and wash their hands. He says he supports the message of the protest but worries if it will result in a spike of coronavirus cases in the county. Broome County June 1 coronavirus update:center_img Binghamton Mayor Rich David and District Attorney Michael A. Korchak denounced the arsonists early Monday. 392 people have recovered from the virus in the county. Throughout Broome County, there are 123 active cases of the coronavirus. Recreation Park Fire Additionally, Garnar says he was upset over the Our Space Playground being destroyed by arson early Monday morning following a night of peaceful protests. The county executive says it was an “incredibly difficult 24 hours” since the fire destroyed the playground. Garnar says the Southern Tier continues to meet reopening criteria after phase two started on May 29. Garnar says he has hope the community will come together to help rebuild the park.last_img read more

Woman constable commits suicide

first_imgNew Delhi: A 33-year-old woman constable of Delhi Police allegedly committed suicide at her rented accommodation in Dwarka’s Chhawla area. Police said that they have not found any suicide note from the spot. The investigation is going on to ascertain the reason behind the extreme step. The deceased was a resident of Dwarka district. “When the woman constable did not come for her duty at the police station. An enquiry regarding her whereabouts was made. Her friend was alerted. She (friend) went to her room which was locked from inside and her (deceased) phone was switched off. A PCR call was made,” police said. A team reached the spot and found hanging her inside the bathroom. The police rushed her to a hospital where she was declared brought dead on arrival.last_img read more

PDM calling for Govt to say something on Desarrollos

first_img Related Items:desarollos, Pdm, rufus ewing, sharlene cartwright-robinson, walter stipa Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp TCI Country Leaders condemn vicious memes TCI Premier blasts Opposition side for “slop” information, sets it straight in HOA Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 16 Apr 2015 – The Premier is being asked why he has not yet addressed the matter involving a striking law suit against Walter Stipa and others of the Desarrollos Hotel Group; the company which recently signed a hotel agreement with TCIG. In a media statement yesterday, the Opposition Party leader points out that it has been nearly a week since the story broke with no word from Government. The PDM says: “We believe that there is sufficient cause for the Government to address the fears and confusion that rests with the people of these Islands. We are therefore calling on the Government to address its people on this important issue.” The PDM, like others are questioning whether due diligence was done with the investor which is expected to begin construction of a Ritz Carlton branded resort in November. While the Department of Justice yesterday confirmed it is not investigating Walter Stipa and Desarrollos directly, it did confirm that a confessed $300 million dollar Ponzi Schemer is suing the group for $15 million dollars it says it gave to them, without having anything given in return. Hon Sharlene Robinson said this news surrounding Stipa and Desarrollos has unsettled the masses: “The signing of this deal and this Government’s multiple announcements over the past years gave comfort …. that due diligence was done and that the Rufus Ewing led PNP Administration was satisfied with the Report. This project has given the country great pause to expect the anticipation of much needed investment…” Only the Governor’s Office has replied, saying that TCIG’s Press Office will issue a statement; that was since Monday. Only Doug and Ralph and Ruth can fit, that’s why Recommended for youlast_img read more

House Clears Defense Bill with Mostly Republican Support

first_imgThe House on Wednesday passed a fiscal 2017 defense authorization bill that despite two days of debate over dozens of amendments was little changed from the version passed in committee.Most significantly, the defense policy bill retains a budget maneuver that would allocate $18 billion in overseas contingency operations account (OCO) funds for base budget items not requested by the administration. The funds are designated for training, new weapons and facilities improvements desired by the service chiefs but left out of the Pentagon’s budget request.That gambit, which would result in funding for overseas operations to run out at the end of April, was one reason only 40 Democrats supported the bill, which passed 277-147. Adam Smith (D-Wash.), the ranking member on the Armed Services Committee, opposed the legislation after criticizing the bill’s approach as “a fiscal path to nowhere,” reported CQ Roll Call.Armed Services Chairman Mac Thornberry (R-Texas) defended the budget move, pointing to the military’s urgent readiness shortfalls.“Just think about what the alternative is: ‘No, we’re not going to help troops now, because we’re not sure where the money is going to come from next year or in five years or in 10 years,’” Thornberry said. “But in the meantime, while we’re not sure about all of that … more people stand in danger of losing their lives.”The authorization bill passed by the Senate Armed Services Committee last week does not adopt the House’s funding plan. That version is scheduled to go to the Senate floor next week.Democrats who voted against the bill took issue with a number of provisions beyond its use of OCO funds to evade the statutory spending caps, including the measure’s restrictions on closing the detention facility at Guantánamo Bay. An amendment by Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) to remove the bill’s prohibitions on the closure of the prison was rejected by the chamber.Democrats also objected to a maneuver by the House Rules Committee to drop language from the bill requiring women to register for the Selective Service System, and to a provision critics say would allow federal contractors to gain religious exemptions to an executive order barring discrimination based on sexual orientation or identity. Smith said those points of contention prompted him to vote against the legislation, reported Military Times. Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more

Report Shanahan Says Of Course He Wants to Be SECDEF

first_img ADC AUTHOR Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said “of course” he wants his job full-time, according to a report from Defense One, which said it talked to him after his House committee testimony Tuesday.“I’ve spent nearly two years on the National Defense Strategy,” Shanahan reportedly told Defense One. “I know the defense strategy. I know what it takes to see it through, and I think I can make a big impact in that area.”President Trump has said privately he wants to nominate Shanahan to be secretary, but that has been slowed down since the DOD inspector general launched an investigation into whether Shanahan has given special treatment to his former employee, Boeing.If the IG investigation “is going to be really short, then it shouldn’t have that much effect on” the search for a permanent secretary, Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) told Defense One. Inhofe has had a shaky relationship with Shanahan.Shanahan has been acting secretary all year, making this the longest period in U.S. history without a permanent, Senate-confirmed defense secretary.DOD photo by Lisa Ferdinandolast_img read more