Pelham hungry to add to European portfolio

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Controversial cleric returns to jail three days after release on parole

Topics : After two days of freedom, controversial cleric Bahar bin Ali bin Smith – famously known as Bahar Smith – was sent back to prison to serve the remainder of his sentence after breaking the terms of his parole.The cleric was released on Saturday after the Law and Human Rights Ministry declared him eligible for parole. According to a statement from the ministry, Bahar had signed an agreement not to violate any laws during his parole.The ministry said authorities had later found him delivering a sermon containing “hate” for the government during a large religious gathering in violation of the large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) imposed to contain the spread of COVID-19. “We hereby revoke his parole and order him to stay in prison during the remainder of his prison sentence,” the ministry wrote in a statement.Read also: Imprisoned Papuan activists denied early release in govt’s pandemic-related programMembers of the ministry’s Corrections Directorate General and police officers took Bahar from his house to Gunung Sindur penitentiary in Bogor, West Java, at 3 a.m. on Tuesday and put him in a jail cell for high-risk inmates.Bahar was sentenced to three years in prison and ordered to pay Rp 50 million (US$3,386) in fines in July of last year for assaulting two teenagers, identified by their initials CAJ, 18, and MK, 18, for mocking him during their stay in Bali.The two teenagers’ actions upset Bahar, prompting him to hit them and shave them bald.He was also named a suspect in a hate-speech case against President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo in December 2018, although there has yet to be any progress on the case. read more

Zuckerberg to urge US to update ‘rules for the internet’

first_imgFacebook chief Mark Zuckerberg will tell a major antitrust hearing Wednesday that the internet giant would not have succeeded without US laws fostering competition, but that the rules of the internet now need updating.”Facebook is a proudly American company,” Zuckerberg said in prepared remarks ahead of what will be a closely-watched House Judiciary Committee hearing. “Our story would not have been possible without US laws that encourage competition and innovation.” The showdown in the House of Representatives comes amid rising concerns over Big Tech dominance, which has become even more pronounced during the coronavirus pandemic.”Ultimately, I believe companies shouldn’t be making so many judgments about important issues like harmful content, privacy, and election integrity on their own,” Zuckerberg’s prepared remarks read. But Zuckerberg also acknowledged “concerns about the size and perceived power that tech companies have.””That’s why I’ve called for a more active role for governments and regulators and updated rules for the internet.”Wednesday’s unprecedented hearing will also feature chief executives Tim Cook of Apple, Jeff Bezos of Amazon and Sundar Pichai of Google and its parent firm Alphabet.The CEOs of four of the most powerful companies in the world will testify remotely at the hearing, which comes less than 100 days before the US election.center_img Big vs BadQuestions at the hearing are expected to veer into issues ranging beyond whether the technology titans are abusing their power in marketplaces.Current US antitrust laws make it difficult for enforcers to target companies simply for being large or dominant without showing harm to consumers or abuse of market power.”We believe in values – democracy, competition, inclusion and free expression – that the American economy was built on,” Zuckerberg is to say.”Many other tech companies share these values, but there’s no guarantee our values will win out.”He is to cite the example of China building and exporting a version of the internet focused on “very different ideas” from the US model.”I believe it’s important to maintain the core values of openness and fairness that have made America’s digital economy a force for empowerment and opportunity here and around the world,” Zuckerberg is to say.Tech company chiefs are expected to stress how they benefit consumers, particularly during the pandemic, and face competition — particularly from China.The antitrust debate is being muddled by a rising “techlash” over a range of issues from privacy to economic inequality to political bias.”Facebook is a successful company now, but we got there the American way: we started with nothing and provided better products that people find valuable,” Zuckerberg is to say.”As I understand our laws, companies aren’t bad just because they are big. Many large companies that fail to compete cease to exist.Social media giants face attacks for allegedly using their dominance to stifle conservative views — a claim made by President Donald Trump.Facebook has been accused of failing to curb hateful content promoting violence, including from Trump.Topics :last_img read more

Binge drinkers buy later

first_imgStuff co.nz 5 February 2014People who buy alcohol after 10pm are twice as likely to be binge drinkers or alcoholics than those who buy it earlier, new research shows.The International Alcohol Study, led by Professor Sally Casswell, of Massey University, also found people who bought cheaper alcohol were more likely to drink a greater amount in one sitting.The research was ongoing and covered New Zealand, Thailand, Scotland, England, Australia, Mongolia, South Africa and Vietnam.This particular piece of research focused solely on the drinking habits of 1900 New Zealanders.It found heavier drinkers bought cheaper alcohol and did so at later times.Drinkers paying lower prices for their takeaway alcohol were twice as likely to drink larger amounts.People who bought after 10pm were also twice as likely as those who bought before 10pm to end up drinking more than six standard drinks.http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/9794113/Binge-drinkers-buy-laterlast_img read more

Duterte seeks to create body to oversee Boracay

first_img“If it’s only coconut, white sand and water, wala ‘yan…pero you add the visitors there, then it becomes a very tempting destination,” the chief executive said. Boracay was the first top tourist spot to reopen since lockdowns were enforced due to COVID-19, but only visitors from the Western Visayas are allowed to go there for now. “We have shared remarkable emergence of the island back to its former glory. I want this sustained. I ask Congress to enact a law creating, importante ito, the Boracay Island Development Authority or BIDA,” Duterte said. Western Visayas, which remains under modified general community quarantine, is comprised of the provinces of Aklan, Antique, Capiz, Guimaras, Iloilo, and Negros Occidental./PN In his penultimate State of the Nation Address (SONA) yesterday, Duterte said lawmakers should push for the creation of the Boracay Island Development Authority. For his part, Acting Malay Mayor Frolibar Bautista said: “Very good comment gid kay ti gin-appreciate nya (Duterte) man ang status sang Boracay.” In 2018, Duterte ordered the six-month closure of the top beach destination, saying Boracay has become a “cesspool.” “Ang implementasyon man naton sa existing regulation isa man ina sa nakabulig para ma-back to glory ang island,” the mayor added. MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte urged Congress to put up a body that would oversee the world-famous Boracay Island in Malay, Aklan. He likewise cited that Boracay is doing well “because of its scenery.” “We enjoin our people to boost the economy by travelling locally,” President Duterte said. This agency, according to the President, would ensure that the effects of the months-long rehabilitation of the island are sustained.  He also said that part of the island will be placed under the government’s land reform program to be distributed to the island’s resident Indigenous Peoples.Earlier in the speech, the President urged Filipinos to boost the economy by traveling locally “once necessary systems are in place.”last_img read more

Neville backs player quota system

first_imgA quota system should be introduced to the Premier League to help the home nations, according to England coach Gary Neville, who fears the top flight has passed its “tipping point” when it comes to foreign players. The former Manchester United full-back, who combines his role as a television pundit with assisting England boss Roy Hodgson, is concerned about the direction the British and Irish national sides are heading in. And citing the start of his own career as an example when clubs were limited to the amount of overseas players they could field, Neville has suggested an inversion of that system whereby managers would have to pick players from the home nations. Speaking to the Guardian, Neville said: “Last week I looked at a list of players signed into the Premier League. I like to think I’m well-read on football but, honestly, I’d never heard of 50-60 per cent of them. “All right, we might unearth lots of talent from abroad. And some fantastic foreign players and managers have enhanced British football no end. But I used the phrase ‘tipping point’ last season and I feel we’re going too far right now. “We need to protect our English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish and Irish national teams by giving more boys from those countries more opportunities. “England not winning trophies, or even reaching the semi-finals of major competitions any longer, is a problem for us. “It’s also a problem for the Premier League, which seems behind the German and Spanish leagues. “The way I see it, British football clubs and managers, the Football Association and the Premier League need to come together as one. We all want a successful group of home nations which produce more domestic players. “It’s not just England. Look what’s happened to Scottish football. Look at the Republic of Ireland. Roy Keane, Niall Quinn, Steve Staunton, Paul McGrath and Kevin Moran always played on English soil and in the Premier League. “We need to come together and get back to a point where there is a quota system of some kind. I know people say you can’t implement this because of European law but where there’s a will there’s a way.” Neville made his name at Old Trafford as part of a side heavily made up of young talent. The 38-year-old grew up and played with the likes of David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and brother Phil, but feels that had he been trying to make a breakthrough in this era, he may have struggled. “When I came through in the mid-1990s there was a rule where only a limited number of foreign players could be included in a team during European competition,” he added. “We benefited from that because, as young British players, we got opportunities. We need to get back something of that ilk – where each team has three or four players from the home countries at the start of every match. “My chances of making it as a pro footballer at the age of 18 in 2013 would be a lot less than 20 years ago. A talented 18-year-old today has to hope he’s at the right club with the right manager who believes in young players. But it’s become so short-term. “The average manager has no time to think about the youth team – let alone create a structure and philosophy at the club. It’s a vicious circle and one that disappoints me about the modern game. I’m a traditionalist and think people should be given time.” Press Associationlast_img read more

Turbo football resumes tomorrow evening

first_imgTHE annual Turbo Knockout football tournament will resume tomorrow evening at the Ministry of Education ground on Carifesta Avenue.In the last of the preliminary games, Santos U-20 will take on Black Pearl FC from 18:00hrs tomorrow evening.Following that, the quarter-finals will commence on Friday from 19:00hrs.Pouderoyen will play Buxton U-20 in the first of the double header with Buxton Stars going toe to toe with Fruta Conquerors U-20.On Sunday, the third and fourth quarter-finals of the tournament will pit Riddim Squad against Northern Rangers.The final quarter-final match will see Georgetown Football Club playing the winner of the preliminary game between Santos U-20 and Black Pear.The first prize for the tournament is $400,000 with second place bagging $200,000, third $100,000 and fourth, $50,000.last_img read more

USC football releases depth chart

first_imgSenior running back Aca’Cedric Ware takes a handoff from former quarterback Sam Darnold. Ware is slated to fill the big shoes of former running back Ronald Jones for week one against UNLV. (Emily Smith | Daily Trojan)The Trojan football team released its official depth chart for the season opener against UNLV on Saturday, along with an announcement earlier in the day that freshman JT Daniels would be the starting quarterback. Though most of the depth chart stayed true to the expected rotations from training camp, it also contained a number of surprises. Here are some of the most notable observations by position group.QuarterbackDaniels was the best quarterback throughout camp by a large margin — it shouldn’t come as a huge shock to anybody that he’ll be starting Week 1. He’ll be the only true freshman to start the season at QB for USC other than fellow Mater Dei High School alumnus Matt Barkley, who started in 2009. Perhaps the bigger surprise on the quarterback depth chart was redshirt freshman Jack Sears at No. 3, after redshirt sophomore Matt Fink. Sears outperformed Fink for most of camp, and even appeared to challenge Daniels at times. His placement on the depth chart seems to suggest that he’ll likely transfer out sometime soon.Running BackSenior Aca’Cedric Ware earned the top spot on the chart, after taking a majority of first team reps throughout camp. Many expected sophomore Stephen Carr to take the top job after doing well in camp after returning from back surgery, especially considering his impressive performance as a freshman last year. Surprisingly, Carr is third on the depth chart behind redshirt sophomore Vavae Malepeai. It’s hard to tell why Carr is listed that low — perhaps due to a flare-up of his injury — but the situation will be worth monitoring during the next few weeks.Wide ReceiverIt should surprise nobody that redshirt sophomore Tyler Vaughns and junior Michael Pittman are starting out wide. They finished last year strong and have had impressive offseasons. True freshman Amon-Ra St. Brown is listed as the second stringer out wide behind Pittman despite a great camp, while the starting slot receiver spot belongs to redshirt sophomore Velus Jones. St. Brown could be seen getting more reps, even supplanting Jones for the job.Offensive LineThe offensive line rotation came out as expected, with sophomore Austin Jackson, redshirt seniors Chris Brown and Toa Lobendahn, sophomore Andrew Voorhees and senior Chuma Edoga starting from left to right. Although most of those spots have been stable throughout the offseason, Jackson had been competing with redshirt junior Clayton Bradley for the starting left tackle role. Jackson won out that competition and it looks like Bradley will be the preferred backup for both tackle spots.Defensive BacksThe starting corner position opposite senior Biggie Marshall was open during the offseason, with senior Isaiah Langley and redshirt freshman Greg Johnson battling for it until the end of camp. Although both players flashed, Johnson had a solid and consistent performance in the past few weeks. He was given the nod to start for week one. Langley will be right behind him on the depth chart, with freshman Olaijah Griffin as the other second string corner behind Marshall following a strong finish to camp. Cornerback wasn’t the only position battle in the secondary, as the starting strong safety job was also up for grabs. Redshirt junior Ykili Ross came into camp running with the first team at the position, until an injury knocked him out early during camp. Sophomore Bubba Bolden took most of the reps in his place, and will be the one to line up beside senior Marvell Tell with the first team during the season opener. Ross will transfer out of USC in the upcoming weeks, having  expressed frustration with his situation.Punt ReturnerAlthough starting redshirt senior nickelback Ajene Harris set the majority of reps as the first punt returner throughout camp, St. Brown will be headlining the depth chart at that position. St. Brown has always been immediately after Harris in the punt return rotation, and looked impressive during his opportunities to run them back. Since he’s still listed with the second team as a receiver, letting him handle primary punt return duties will get him more touches per game, allowing him to make plays with the ball in his hands.last_img read more

Obamacare vendetta costing Florida

first_imgRick Scott and Donald Trump’s Obamacare vendetta costing FloridaThe Florida Democratic Party has claimed in a press release issued yesterday that following President Donald Trump’s executive order to end cost-sharing reduction payments by the federal government, Floridians are already getting hit by rising insurance premiums.The payments or subsidies payed to insurance companies were an original component of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) signed by former President Obama in 2011. Through these subsidies the insurance companies participating in the ACA was able to offer lower than normal premiums to customers who purchased healthcare policies under the program.Florida will be particularly hard hit with the removal of the subsidies to the insurance companies as over 1.2 million Floridians received cost-sharing reductions, reflected in lower premiums out of 5.6 million Americans in 2016.That is 71percent of ACA marketplace enrollees in Florida who are receiving cost-sharing reductions.Governor Rick Scott who has been a longtime advocate for the dismantling of Obamacare, refused to expand Medicaid for purely political reasons, and has advertised himself as a chief architect of Trumpcare.“Floridians are being hit by higher premiums for one reason: Donald Trump and Rick Scott want to dismantle Obamacare more than they want to fix health care. While Rick Scott and Donald Trump are playing politics and deliberately sabotaging the American health care system, working families are paying for it. Florida needs a leader that will stand up to Donald Trump’s reckless policy making—not encourage it. If Rick Scott really wanted to stand up for Florida families, he would fight Donald Trump’s executive order and urge Congress to pass a bipartisan solution on health care.” said Florida Democratic Party spokesperson Johanna Cervone.last_img read more