Meanwhile Barcelona came through a tough Group F ahead of Borussia Dortmund, Inter Milan and the plucky Slavia Prague.Also in the hat to face Spurs are RB Leipzig and Valencia.The Spaniards earned a superb win at Ajax on Tuesday night to edge ahead in Group H, where Chelsea finished as runners-up.And Leipzig won away at Benfica and Zenit Saint-Petersburg in their maiden march towards the Champions League last-16.latest football newsGossipCROWD RETURNFA Cup final ‘may see 20,000 at Wembley in trial allowing some fans at games’CommentPHIL THOMASDiving and whining was never a good look and will seem worse after lockdownExclusive’I’M IN A BAD WAY’Ex-England star Kenny Sansom talks for first time since being attackedExclusiveBOURNE AGAINHowe says Cherries are stronger after lockdown with FIVE fit-again starsExclusiveSWAN THAT GOT AWAYSwansea wanted £3m Davies three years ago but couldn’t get work permitNEXT STEPJonny Hayes set to move to English Championship having been let go by CelticBAYERN 5 DUSSELDORF 0Lewa bags two as Bayern thump rivals to close on 8th straight titleTHEIR CALLReferees in Northern Ireland will be given choice on coming back says union boss TOTTENHAM have confirmed their second-place finish in their Champions League group which could mean a tie with Juventus or Barcelona in the last 16.Jose Mourinho’s men lost their dead rubber with Bayern Munich, going down 3-1 and ending runners-up in Group B.1Next Monday will see the draw for the first knockout round made, commencing at 11am UK time.All eight groups are confirmed and seeded, leaving five possible opponents for Tottenham to face with teams from the same country and group ruled out at this stage.Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus and Barcelona pose the biggest threat to another run into the latter stages, which take place in February and March.Each of the trio has remained unbeaten in the group stages with four points taken off both Real Madrid by PSG and Atletico Madrid by Juve.Champions League TableSee More Tables See Full Table Spurs are no strangers to facing crunch European knockout matches against big sides.Ajax, Manchester City and Borussia Dortmund were beaten on their run to last year’s final.But Juve edged a dramatic last-16 tie the campaign before and the club’s only other expedition in the latter stages came in 2010/11, when Real Madrid claimed a crushing 5-0 aggregate victory in the quarter-finals.Mauro Icardi’s model wife Wanda looks amazing as she takes part in some seriously sexy shoots
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The Lumby, B.C. resident, along with his wife, train and judge horse driving events across Canada, the United States, Denmark, Norway and Germany, and will be bringing years of experience to share in Fort St. John.The workshop will focus on topics such as safety tips, rules and regulations, while also including a couple live demonstrations.Driven dressage will begin on Saturday, with interested spectators encouraged to attend.- Advertisement -Spectators are also welcome to watch the obstacle training portion of the weekend, taking place Sunday.The event will be taking place at 8281-269 road.
Anyone with information about the identity of the driver is asked to call the CHP at (661) 948-8541. LAKE LOS ANGELES – Authorities are seeking a hit-and-run driver who injured two Lake Los Angeles pedestrians Thursday, the California Highway Patrol reported. The victims, young women age 18 and 13, were walking south on 171st Street East near Schollview Avenue about 8:30 p.m. when they were hit by a pickup truck traveling in the same direction, the CHP said. The victims were taken to County/USC Medical Center with moderate injuries. The hit-and-run vehicle was described as a dark-color 1984 to ’88 Toyota pickup truck with several scratches and missing a piece of its left fender, the CHP said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Klopp’s men have kept only two clean sheets in 10 matches this season and he admitted after last weekend’s 2-0 loss at Leicester in the League Cup that he was “really, really sick” of shipping soft goals.Held to a 2-2 draw by Sevilla in their Champions League opener two weeks ago, Liverpool have failed to keep a clean sheet in 11 of their last 12 matches in the competition.But for all their defensive woes, which are symbolised by recurrent failings at set-pieces, Klopp has been reluctant to admit that he has a major problem on his hands.Asked about his team’s difficulties at the back prior to their most recent game at Leicester, he protested: “It sounds like we have no points and are completely the worst team in the league.”If Klopp has been spared more trenchant criticism, it is because his team, when on song, are capable of playing attacking football of scintillating quality.Liverpool crushed Arsenal 4-0 at the end of August and in Sadio Mane, Roberto Firmino, Philippe Coutinho and new signing Mohamed Salah they possess some of the most talented forwards in the Premier League.The suspicion, which Klopp does not exactly deny, is that as long as his team are scoring goals at one end of the pitch, he will not lose too much sleep about what is happening in his own penalty area.“If you would ask me: ‘Do you want your team perfect in defending set-pieces, but don’t know how to play football, or would you prefer the other way round?’ I still would take this (second) one,” he says.Liverpool’s quest for greater defensive solidity has not been helped by the unpredictable form of goalkeeper Simon Mignolet or by Klopp’s own selection choices.– ‘Should have kept Sakho’ –The 5-0 capitulation at Manchester City earlier this month came after he made the questionable choice to start Ragnar Klavan instead of usual first-choice centre-back Dejan Lovren, who remained on the bench.The Liverpool manager also regularly chops and changes his defence, notably rotating his full-backs between games, which has made it impossible to achieve any kind of continuity.Matters were not helped by Liverpool’s frustrating transfer window, during which they missed out on prime defensive target Virgil van Dijk.With Liverpool having failed to prise the Dutch centre-back from Southampton, former captain Phil Thompson believes it was a mistake to allow Mamadou Sakho to join Crystal Palace after the Frenchman fell out with Klopp.“Sakho was our best defender,” Thompson told Sky Sports last week.“I know there are fallings out at football clubs all the time, but somewhere along the line, you can’t cut off your nose to spite your face.“Klopp should have made up with the boy. He should have banned him, but then brought him back into the fold.“They lost out on Virgil van Dijk for whatever reason, but when it happened, they should have kept Sakho.”Overall, Thompson feels there “shouldn’t be any debate” about Klopp’s position and says the German has clearly taken Liverpool forwards since succeeding Brendan Rodgers in October 2015.But while Liverpool’s attacking football will continue to nourish hopes of a return to prominence at home and abroad, their defensive issues may prove a fatal flaw.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Liverpool’s manager Jurgen Klopp watches his players warm up on September 23, 2017 © AFP / Geoff CADDICKLONDON, United Kingdom, Sep 25 – Liverpool approach the second game of their Champions League campaign away to Spartak Moscow on Tuesday with manager Jurgen Klopp under pressure to resolve their chronic defensive problems.Liverpool ended a four-game winless run by prevailing 3-2 at Leicester City on Saturday, but they have conceded 10 goals in three consecutive Premier League away games for the first time in the competition’s 25-year history.
It means Real second, level on points with Barcelona, while Atletico are just two behind in fourth. Sevilla are third.Gareth Bale had to be substituted at half-time with what the club confirmed was a thigh strain and is a doubt for the European champions ahead of their visit to CSKA Moscow on Tuesday. Bale will be assessed on Sunday.It was a scenario Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde tried to avoid before his side’s visit to Tottenham on Wednesday by resting Lionel Messi at the Camp Nou.But the Argentine was needed in the second half after Oscar de Marcos gave Bilbao a deserved lead. Munir El Haddadi snatched Barca a point, diverting in Messi’s shot with six minutes left.After drawing at home to Girona and being beaten by Leganes, Barcelona head to Wembley to face Spurs short of rhythm and lacking confidence.Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale (L) had to be substituted at half-time against Atletico Madrid with what the club confirmed was a thigh strain © AFP / OSCAR DEL POZOBarcelona will be without Sergi Roberto for the Champions League Group B clash after it was confirmed he had picked up a thigh strain.The last time Bilbao took a point at the Camp Nou in 2004, Valverde was sitting in the away team’s dugout during his first spell as Bilbao coach.He faced questions after his bold decision to rest Messi with Tottenham in mind, along with Sergio Busquets.“Leaving Messi on the bench is absolutely my responsibility,” Valverde said. “He has four games in 10 days and I think it’s good for Leo to rest, like Busquets, thinking of the Champions League.“I know it was the right decision. It was a risk and on this occasion, it didn’t come off.”– ‘Intense’ match –Lack of rotation was chief among the criticisms levelled at Valverde after Barcelona crashed out of the Champions League quarter-finals last season, with Luis Suarez admitting he regretted playing 90 minutes three days before the collapse against Roma.Rested at the start, Barcelona’s Argentinian forward Lionel Messi (C) was needed in the second half of a 1-1 scramble against Athletic Bilbao © AFP / Pau BARRENA CAPILLAValverde has certainly acted. Of the preferred 11 that started a 4-0 win over PSV Eindhoven two weeks ago, eight started at least one of the three games since on the bench. Seven of those were required to come on as substitutes.“We can’t expect Messi just to come on and fix things,” Suarez said. “We should have won the game before he came on, that’s why we are Barca.”Real and Atletico face midweek Champions League matches away to CSKA Moscow and home to Club Brugge respectively, but there was no letting up on their part.Thibaut Courtois came back to haunt his former club and Jan Oblak showed why he is considered arguably the finest goalkeeper in the world.Courtois spent three seasons at Atletico on loan from Chelsea but this was his first Madrid derby for Real. He made the most of it, saving when both Antoine Griezmann and Diego Costa had only the Belgian to beat.Bale could have won it for Real too but he sidefooted wide from close range towards the end of the first half and then had to be replaced.Barcelona will be without Sergi Roberto for the Champions League Group B clash after it was confirmed he had picked up a thigh strain © AFP/File / OSCAR DEL POZOBarca might feel spared but Real and Atletico seemed satisfied at the final whistle. Atleti maintained their resurgence after a miserable start to the season while Real steadied the ship following their hammering at Sevilla on Wednesday.“We have not won because we didn’t score but overall we have been very superior,” Real Madrid boss Julen Lopetegui said.“The match was intense,” added Atletico manager Diego Simeone. “We had chances through Griezmann and Costa but they were saved by Courtois. It’s a pity because we wanted to win but we leave with a good result.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Atletico manager Diego Simeone called it “a good result” as they finished a goalless match against Real Madrid © AFP / OSCAR DEL POZOMADRID, Spain, Sep 30 – Barcelona slipped up for the third time in a week but stay top of La Liga after Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid cancelled each other out at the Santiago Bernabeu on Saturday.Real and Atletico began a pulsating derby less than three hours after Barca had scrambled to a 1-1 draw at home to Athletic Bilbao, but goalkeepers reigned supreme in the capital to ensure the grudge match finished goalless.
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho seemed frustrated by referee Michael Oliver but continued his silence over officials following the Blues’ 2-2 draw with Swansea at Stamford Bridge.The defending Premier League champions ended their season opener with ten men following goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois’ sending off, and also had a penalty appeal turned down in the first half.Diego Costa sprinted through on goal before being brought down in the box by Federico Fernandez, and while the Spanish striker and his manager were left raging when Oliver pointed to the corner, replays showed the Swans defender timed his tackle to perfection.Costa was also denied a free-kick after he was tripped in the second-half, and Mourinho appeared to laugh out loud on the Chelsea bench when play was waved on.However, having been fined more than once last season for his criticism of referees, the Blues boss was curt when asked for his thoughts on the incidents.“I do not want to speak about red cards,” he said. “I don’t think I can be suspended for life.”Asked whether that would be a policy this season, Mourinho retorted to laughter in the press conference: “No, it is just because the first time I can control myself.“I want to react this way so you don’t say he was [complaining] from day one. In day one we were punished, but it was not on day one that I opened my mouth.”Chelsea had to hold on for a point as Swansea dominated the second-half following Bafetimbi Gomis’s equaliser from the spot, but Mourinho hailed his side’s effort to still go for the win despite their man disadvantage.“We tried,” the Portuguese added. “I repeat this for a long, long, long time, even in my first period here, because my record at Stamford Bridge is something incredible.“I never played for a draw. Never. So if today we lose, we lose.“But at home a draw is only good in special circumstances, like last year, for example, when we were almost champions so a draw against Manchester United was a good result.“Apart from that, we play at home to win and we tried that, so it is normal. The players know that. They know one point is one point.“Playing with 10 men for such a long time is much more difficult and fundamentally I am happy with the quality they had in the first half and I am happy with their spirit in the second half, so we are in peace. We are not happy with the result.”
Senator Brian O Domhnaill is going global!Walker Brendan Boyce from Milford with Senator O Domhnaill.The Gortahork politician is a seasoned walker.And yesterday he showed his class by winning the Masters over 35 3000m race Walk in a superb time of 13.28 at the indoor AIT Atlone track. The winning time sees him qualify for the World Indoors in March.O Domhnaill simply announced his achievement by stating ‘it’s good to be back’ on Facebook. He is a former Irish International athlete, before he turned his attention to public service. SENATOR O DOMHNAILL TAKES WALKING WIN IN HIS STRIDE! was last modified: January 26th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:SENATOR BRIAN O DOMHNAILLwalking racewin
Former Fifa president Blatter announces Qatar win.Football’s world governing body Fifa has released its full report into alleged corruption in Qatar’s successful 2022 World Cup bid.It comes after German newspaper Bild published extracts of a leaked copy of the report on Tuesday.The 2014 report was authored by former Fifa independent ethics investigator Michael Garcia.He quit in protest when the organisation only released a 42-page summary of his document.That version cleared Qatar of corruption allegations.Fifa said its president Gianni Infantino had always intended to release the full document but its former ethics chiefs had refused to publish it.The former chairmen of the ethics committee Cornel Borbely and Hans-Joachim Eckert, were replaced in May after completing four-year terms.Speaking in October 2014, Eckert said: “Publishing the report in full would actually put the Fifa ethics committee and Fifa itself in a very difficult situation legally.”Infantino.Fifa said it had intended to discuss the release of the report at a meeting next month, but added: “As the document has been illegally leaked to a German newspaper, the new chairpersons have requested the immediate publication of the full report in order to avoid the dissemination of any misleading information.“For the sake of transparency, Fifa welcomes the news that this report has now been finally published.”BBCComments Tags: sports top
Tags: AFCON 2019AlgeriaSeri DieSofien FeghuliWilfred Bonny Algeria are yet to lose a game at AFCON 2019. (PHOTO/Courtesy)AFCON 2019Ivory Coast 1(3) – 1(4) AlgeriaSuez Stadium, SuezThursday, 11-07-2019Algeria progressed to the semifinals of the Africa Cup of Nations with a 4-3 penalty shootout victory over Ivory Coast after a 1-1 draw at New Suez Stadium on Thursday.Wilfried Bony and Serey Die missed their spot kicks on the Ivorian side whereas Youcef Belaili had his hit the post for Algerian.The Desert foxes came into this contest with a 100 percent record, having won their four previous games in the competition without conceding.In the 20th minute, former West Ham player Sofiane Feghouli fired the North African side into the lead when he slotted in a perfect Ramy Bensebaini cross.The Elephants had decent chances in the first period but Jonathan Kodjia and Max Gradel were both guilty for not capitalizing on the chances.Just after the recess, the Algerians were awarded a penalty after custodian Sylvain Gbohouo fouled striker Baghdad Bounedjah inside the penalty area.Bounedjah was entrusted with the responsibility but his effort hit the bar to give relief to Gbohouo.Kodjia leveled matters for the Elephants with a sensational left foot strike off a Wilfried Zaha pass.Riyad Mahrez nearly won it for the 1990 champions in the later stages but his effort was cleared off the line by Ivory Coast defender Mamadou Bagayoko.Algeria will face off with three time champions Nigeria in the Semifinals on Sunday and on the same day, Tunisia will lock horns with Senegal.The other game on Thursday-Madagascar vs Tunisia @10pmOther quarter final results-Senegal 1-0 Benin-Nigeria 2-1 South AfricaComments