Kavairlook shooting suspect found in Ohio

first_imgThe alleged shooter of John Kavairlook Jr. has been arrested by Fairbanks police.Download AudioKavairlook was gunned down outside of the Rock N Rodeo Bar in Fairbanks last May.The alleged shooter is Patrick Dale Burton, age 23.  He was located in Cleveland, Ohio and is currently in custody awaiting possible extradition to Alaska on charges of first degree murder.Fairbanks Police Detective Peyton Merideth said that, unlike the previous two out-of-state arrests in connection to the Kavairlook homicide, when U.S. Marshals and local police conducted the arrests, Fairbanks police picked up Burton themselves this time.“We didn’t require the assistance of anybody else except the Cuyahoga County Sheriff’s Office,” Meredith said. “We had discovered his whereabouts, and were down there.  We traveled down to speak with him and serve an arrest warrant.”On May 16th of last year, Kavairlook took his wife Shalene (shay-LEEN) to the Rock N Rodeo on the Old Steese Highway in Fairbanks for their first night out after the birth of their daughter roughly a month earlier.  Burton was also at the bar with a group of three other men.Charging documents suggest that Kavairlook tried to defend his wife from an unwelcome advance by one of the four suspects.  A fight broke out in the bar, and the men were ejected.As the altercation continued in the parking lot, Burton allegedly retrieved a 9 millimeter handgun from a vehicle and shot Kavairlook multiple times.Detective Merideth said that the investigation into Kavairlook’s death has been extensive and exhausting, stemming from the fact that the suspects were not from Fairbanks.“Just like the other suspects in the case, it was just a matter of, literally, thousands of hours put in by our office to try to track these guys down, Meredith said. “And we were finally able to identify who the actual shooter was, which of course was on video.  But we just needed to put a name with a face.”Two of Burton’s companions at the Rock N Rodeo were arrested last fall.  Joel Roland Joseph and Demarius Hinson are in custody at the Fairbanks Correctional Center.  A hearing on their cases is scheduled for this June 30 in Fairbanks Superior Court, with a trial date currently set for the week of August 15th.Joseph is charged with first and second degree murder, and has pled not guilty.  Hinson and Joseph are also charged with hindering prosecution.  Both fled the state after the incident.John Kavairlook was a 2010 graduate of the Galena Interior Learning Academy, and originally from the village of Koyuk.  He was working as a plumber in Fairbanks at the time of his death.last_img read more

Quota protests postponed till early May Quader

first_imgA 20-member delegation representing students and jobseeking youth joins a talks with minister Obaidul Quader in the afternoon.Protesters of quota system have reportedly postponed their demonstration till the first week of May following assurance of scrutiny of the system by the government.The protesters agreed to postpone their programme at a meeting with road transport and bridges minister Obaidul Quader on Monday afternoon.The minister called them to the meeting after the overnight protests in Dhaka that left more than 100 injured and spread to all major campuses across the country.”The protesters have agreed to keep their programme suspended until 7 May. By this time, the government will scrutinise the quota system,” Quader told newsmen after the meeting at the Bangladesh Secretariat.A 20-member delegation representing students and jobseeking youth earlier joined the talks with the minister in the afternoon.Hasan Al Mamun, convener of Sadharan Chhatra Odhikar Sangrakkhan Parishad also disclosed their decision before the reporters after the meeting.The meeting also decided to release the arrestees unconditionally, he said.last_img read more

Death toll in Afghan election centre attack reaches 57

first_img.Afghan shopkeeper Ali Rasuli was standing at the end of a long queue of people waiting to pick up their national ID certificates on Sunday when a fireball erupted in front of him.The suicide bombing outside a voter and ID registration centre in Kabul killed at least 57 people, injured 119 and briefly blinded Rasuli, leaving him with leg and abdominal injuries.“I found myself covered in blood, with dead people-women and children-around me,” 26-year-old Rasuli told AFP from his bed at Kabul’s Isteqlal Hospital where around 50 of the wounded had been rushed for treatment.The smell of blood permeated the hospital. In the morgue around a dozen bodies lay on the floor, including those of several children.Around 40 other wounded were taken to a trauma centre run by Italian NGO Emergency. Hundreds of relatives stood outside on the street waiting for news.Rasuli was among hundreds outside the registration centre on Sunday morning waiting to pick up their tazkira, or national ID document, which Afghans need to register to vote in legislative elections scheduled for October 20.The government has been pushing people to register at more than 7,000 polling centres around the country as it seeks to hold credible and fraud-free elections.“They all wanted to vote,” Rasuli said.Ali Jan was one of them.The 21-year-old student, who had planned to take part in his first-ever elections in October, tried to pick up his tazkira on Saturday but was turned away because officials had run out of paper.He went back on Sunday in hopes of better luck but instead was caught up in the blast.“They said the tazkira is needed to vote, but if they keep killing us how can we vote?” he told AFP from his hospital bed, his head bandaged.It was at least the third attack on a voter registration centre since 14 April when authorities began a two-month process to register up to 14 million adults ahead of long-delayed parliamentary and district council elections.Outside Isteqlal Hospital grief mixed with anger among anxious relatives waiting for news of loved ones.They directed their fury at the Afghan government and its apparent inability to protect ordinary people from suicide attacks.“Our patience is running out. This government should take responsibility for the lives of all these innocent people lost every day,” a man called Hussain, whose cousin was wounded in the blast, told AFP.“Nobody will go to vote anymore.”last_img read more

The Iconoclash Program Cartoonist Panel Talk Political Correctness

first_imgThe Iconoclash program is sponsoring a panel at New York University’s Washington D.C. campus on Feb. 11 from 6:30 p. m. – 8 p. m. The panel will feature caricature cartoonists Steven Degryse, Kevin Kallaugher, Ann Telnaes, and Matt Wuerker who will discuss the acceptability of cartoons as they merge with political, religious, and other personal beliefs. The conversation will take place one year after the tragic attacks on the French Satirical Magazine Charlie Hebdo. Panelists will discuss political correctness as it pertains to comedic art. The event is free and open to the public, and it will take place at 1307 L street N.W. For more information, visit events.nyu.edu/#event_id/92121/view/event.last_img read more