Court-ordered Article 106 March 19 elections…engaging in more ‘constitutional heresy’Former Attorney General and Legal Affairs Minister Anil Nandlall has accused the David Granger-led Administration of practising “constitutional heresy” by still holding Cabinet meetings but under a different name while ignoring the recent ruling by acting Chief Justice (CJ) Roxane George.Former Attorney General Anil NandlallNandlall said that in her ruling, the CJ stated clearly that in accordance with the Constitution and upon the successful passage of the no-confidence motion, on December 21, 2018, the President (David Granger), as well as the Cabinet, was taken to have resigned.“To circumvent the CJ’s ruling and to subvert the express language of the Constitution, the Government continues to meet and make decisions, but they are not calling those meetings Cabinet, but a ‘Ministerial Plenary and the Secretary to this extra-constitutional body who used to be the Secretary to the Cabinet (Edward Persico), that person is now called Secretary to the plenary,” he explained.MockeryThis move, according to Nandlall, highlights how Government is making a mockery of both the acting CJ’s decision, as well as the express provisions of the Constitution. He reminded that the Constitution provided for an institution called Cabinet and that institution is to advise the President on the direction in which the Government should go policy-wise and in accordance with good governance.He argued, “Cabinet has been disbanded so to speak by the CJ’s ruling and by the express language of provision of the Constitution by the passage of the no-confidence motion. You can’t concoct another agency calling it a name and imbuing it with the power to perform the functions that Cabinet used to be performing. I’ve never heard anything like this, nowhere in the Caribbean or Commonwealth…”The former AG also described the situation as a constitutional travesty.Constitutional heresyPresident David GrangerMeanwhile, in making reference to statements made by Minister of State, Joseph Harmon, where he told the press that the plenary of Ministers had the same powers as Cabinet, Nandlall said he disagreed with that reasoning.“Where did they get that from? Where did the plenary of Cabinet Ministers, whatever that amorphous organisation is, is not provided anywhere in the laws. The Constitution creates a Cabinet and it ascribes to Cabinet the functional responsibilities that Cabinet is to perform,” he added.Again, Nandlall said that it could only be seen as constitutional heresy at its worst. His reasoning for this is that all of the decisions which are now being made are unconstitutional and illegal. “At some time they will have to set aside that as illegal and unlawful, because it is,” he stated.Minister Harmon was the first to reveal this information, stating that the plenary of ministers have met as a collective to note contracts from the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board (NPTAB) and give approval for various official government appointments.The Minister revealed that the plenary approved diplomatic relations with San Marino, the appointment of a new Indian High Commissioner and a non-resident Ambassador from Kuwait.The plenary gave its consent for the reconstitution of the National Data Management Authority (NDMA); a Value Added Tax (VAT) Appeal tribunal and also approved the Customs and Trade Single Window System Bill 2019. This Bill, Harmon explained, will pave the way for improved processing of data.Harmon defended the meeting of the plenary, noting that such meetings were also held last year. The Minister was asked to explain under which law is a plenary of Ministers authorised to meet and ‘note’ contracts.“The plenaries are an extended Cabinet with all the Ministers included. It is noted that there is in fact a judgement of the court that was made with respect to the Cabinet. That judgement was appealed. But we have not had a stay of the judgement, and as such, we have not held Cabinet meetings.”“Ministerial plenaries are chaired by the President and include all the Ministers. It, therefore, has all the powers that a Cabinet has… the appointment of a Minister, sitting as a Minister appointed in a full meeting with the President has the full authority of the Government to perform his functions.”Government fell to a no-confidence vote brought against it on December 21, 2018. It took the matter to the High Court, but was defeated. The matter is now with the Appeal Court.President Granger and his Government have said they are waiting on the pending legal cases, but Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo has already warned that transactions approved by an illegal Cabinet run the risk of not being recognised.
4 Keys to a Kid-Safe App Tags:#Apple#HomeKit#Internet of Things#iPhone#smart home#WWDC#WWDC 2014 adriana lee Related Posts 5 Outdoor Activities for Beating Office Burnout After weeks of anticipation, Apple finally offered details on its smart home offering: HomeKit, a strategy designed to “bring some rationality to this space,” Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president for software engineering said at company’s Worldwide Developers Conference.HomeKit is designed to unify the various, piecemeal experience in the connected home, with a variety of providers, systems and connectivity options under “a common network protocol,” Federighi said.Specifics were scarce. Federighi said HomeKit will somehow allow iOS users to control their homes with their iPhones—and only their iPhones—to manage “locks, lights, cameras, doors, thermostats, plugs, switches.” The mobile device will offer secure pairing, and can control separate gadgets or set automations for groups of devices.And it will be controlled via voice, thanks to integration with Apple’s Siri personal assistant. So you can change modes by saying “time for bed,” and your house will respond by bringing down the lights and locking the front door.Federighi’s presentation focused mostly on features, not specifics, but we look forward to unpacking this protocol in the days ahead. 9 Books That Make Perfect Gifts for Industry Ex… 12 Unique Gifts for the Hard-to-Shop-for People…
Defending champion Saina Nehwal inched closer to a third successive Indonesian Open Super Series badminton title after advancing to the finals with a three-game triumph over Chinese Taipei’s Shao Chieh Cheng in Jakarta on Saturday.The fourth-seeded Indian won 21-14 14-21 21-17 in a 45-minute battle against giant-killer Cheng, who had created quite a flutter by upstaging top seed Shixian Wang and seventh seed Xin Liu earlier in the tournament.The opening game was fought on even keel before Saina reeled off seven successive points to nose ahead.The 21-year-old Indian lost the momentum in the second game as Cheng drew level with more net winners than Saina’s.The third game was a closer affair but Cheng didn’t have a reply to Saina’s 11 smash winners, which sealed the game and the match for her.- With PTI inputs
Are you looking for a thrilling career in the sports industry? Touch Football Australia (TFA) is seeking suitably qualified applicants for the position of Sport Operations Manager â€“ Northern Territory, based in our Darwin branch office. To view the Position Description, please click on the attachment below.Applications for this opportunity close at 9.00am (AEDST) on Friday, 12 February 2016. For further information or to lodge your application for this career opportunity, please email email@example.com.Related Filespd_sops_sport_ops_manager_updated_format_03-pdfRelated LinksPosition Vacant
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Agent: Barcelona pushed hard to sign Man Utd defender Victor Lindelofby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveBarcelona were keen on Manchester United defender Victor Lindelof this summer, says his agent.Lindelof’s agent – Hasan Cetinkaya – has claimed that Barcelona ‘s interest in his client intensified after Juventus won the race to sign Dutch starlet Matthijs de Ligt from Ajax. “Victor Nilsson Lindelöf was perhaps Manchester United’s best player last season and with that comes interest from clubs who are better on the pitch right now,” he told Sport Bladet after the Swede penned new terms last week. “When Mathijs De Ligt chose Juventus, Victor became Barcelonas first choice. His play style, his DNA is very close to the way Barcelona plays.”He’s one of the best center backs on his feet and Barcelona wanted him. That was it. I can talk openly about that now.”His agent claimed he attempted to push through a move to Spain but United were unwilling to sanction the deal.He added: “They contacted Ed Woodward multiples times with concrete offers. I met with their head of transfers Matt Judge to try and get a deal through.”But they said ‘There is no way. Victor is one of our best players’.”